What are my obligations as a homeowner?
- If your home has suffered a loss, be sure to promptly notify your insurance company.
- Emergency repairs should be made to ensure the property is not damaged further. This includes acts such as tarping a roof, shutting off the water to the home, or drying out the property.
- Be sure to keep accurate records, such as receipts/invoices, for any emergency/temporoary repairs.
- Take photographs! After the loss and throughout the process, documentation is extremely important.
- Many policies also cover loss to personal property. Create an inventory of all damaged property.
- Cooperate with your insurance company. You may be asked to make a recorded statement, allow the company to inspect the property, or to attend an examination under oath. Most policies require cooperation.
- You can always contact Grossman Law, P.A. if you are unsure of your obligations.
What are my insurance company's obligations?